NAROOMA GOLF CLUB IS OPEN FOR TRADE
It is fantastic news that the Narooma Golf Club is open for trade due to the recent easing of COVID-19 restrictions by the State Government. We will be operating on reduced numbers but all facilities of the club will be in operation. For the well-being of our patrons and our Staff Members we ask you to consider our modified conditions of entry. Any breaches of these conditions may result in you being asked to leave the premises.
- You must be feeling well and not experiencing any respiratory symptoms, such as a cough, sore/scratchy throat, or shortness of breath or fever.
- Sanitise your hands upon entry and exit of the premises
- You must provide your name and phone number upon entry for the purposes of tracing COVID-19 infections. These are stored confidentially and securely
- The Club has capacity limits in place for various areas throughout the Club, please abide
- Preferred card payments are being used throughout the premises, except for Gaming
- You can visit without ordering a meal
- Group bookings are not to exceed 10 patrons
- Maintain social distancing of 1.5 metres and adhere to hygiene requirements
- Be seated when consuming food and beverages. Be seated when playing Gaming machines
- Please follow all signage, directions and advice of staff and management
- ENJOY YOURSELF, it is great to have you back and we are here to serve you.
Your club has been carrying out minor renovations during this shutdown period and we are sure you will appreciate and enjoy the fresh new look.
The past few months including the bushfires have been an extraordinary time in our lives which has tested not only your club staff and board representatives but the whole community of Narooma. While this has been a challenging year our priority going forward remains unchanged. The heath, wellbeing and safety of our loyal staff, members and the community.
In order for all of us to stay well we cannot stress the importance of good hand, respiratory and personal hygiene practices to mitigate the risk of transmission of the virus. The club has put in place measures to assist in these practices and the way we once operated has changed in some ways. These will become evident when visiting our club.
Keep an eye out for further updates as they will be posted on all our social media sources as changes come to hand. Whilst the Club understands the role it plays within the community, all members and guests are expected to abide by the advice of the Federal Government with regards to self-isolation and social distancing.
We are committed to persevere in the days ahead with the support of our community, and look forward to a positive strong future together.
General Manager – Narooma Golf Club
GOLF MEMBERS UPDATE (Thursday 28th May, 2020)
On behalf of the Board and Management I would like to thank you for adhering to the social distancing restrictions during the COVID 19 pandemic. Your efforts have enabled us to continue playing golf, albeit in groups of 4, with 1 person per cart. The social distancing restrictions, together with the lack of daylight at this time of the year, has created a situation where it is impossible for all members to participate in competitions and/or use a golf cart. We have limited competitions to members only, re-introduced the Wednesday competition for women and the Thursday competition for men, and shortened the hit-off times between groups. These changes have eased the situation somewhat, however, we still have groups taking time to play their round thereby effectively preventing other members from participating in competition and carts being re-utilised. Medley competitions remain for Tuesday and Saturday, and although Tuesday is not a problem with carts, the same cannot be said for Thursdays and Saturdays. Saturdays have always been a medley competition and Thursdays have always been our main weekly competition for men. Under normal conditions all members could get a game and a cart. Currently play and cart use is limited so we need to quicken our play. We certainly do not want members sprinting around the course, but if all players kept up with the group in front, then play would quicken. The Captain and the Golf Professional have been out on the course at times Marshalling play and this action has unfortunately attracted abuse from some members. This abuse is unwarranted and unacceptable. However, a positive that came out of Marshalling was that when members were monitored, play was taking 3 hours 15 minutes. Times crept up to 4+ hours when they weren’t being monitored. Now that we are back to playing in groups of 4, times have again increased so marshalling will re-introduced. I trust that all members are mature enough to accept advice and if you are asked to speed up your play, please do not take your frustrations out on the Marshall.
I have also become aware that some members have been taking their frustrations and anger out on staff in the Pro-Shop. Members who have been unable to ‘book their specific time slot’ (no such thing), members who have difficulty logging onto the computer to book tee times, (be a little more patient and make sure that you log off from the site after making your booking), members who are unable to book a cart, (we are doing our best to ensure that all members who need to, can access carts), and members who are unhappy with other members on course who are not keeping up with the group ahead. If you want to take your frustrations out on someone, then I am happy for you to speak with me.
Although there is a section (1.9.5) on slow play in our By-Laws, it only provides suggestions on how to quicken your game. We do not have a Policy on slow play, so I have asked the Match Committee to prepare a Policy document. I also accept that we are all getting older and slower, however, we must all do what we can to try an eliminate slow play in competition, especially during this pandemic. Recent changes to the Rules of Golf were introduced to quicken the game and our Club adopted some of those changes in our Local Rules. I suggest you make yourself aware of these Rules and By-Laws.
Geoff Lanham – President Narooma Golf Club
GOLF MEMBERS UPDATE (Wednesday 13th May, 2020)
Apologies for yet another golf update but regulations seem to be changing on a weekly basis and your club needs to inform you of these changes as they are approved.
The following changes will commence from Saturday, 23rd May 2020;
– Competition rounds will be changed from 2 (two) players to 4 (four) players. (Providing NSW Public Health and NSW State Government approve the change this Friday).
– Social distancing is still required to be carried out and will probably be with us for some time. This means we can only permit 1 (one) golf cart for 1 (one) person. The golf pro will have a list for hire of golf carts, this list will be available for bookings 7 days prior to each competition. Golf carts will be booked on a first in best dressed basis. You will only be allowed to book 1 (one) golf cart per player at any one time. We have had to implement this system so all golfers get the opportunity to book a golf cart. Unfortunately,
some people may miss out on getting a golf cart but this cannot be helped whilst under the current covid-19 restrictions
– Couples or individuals who reside at the same residential address will be permitted to share their private golf cart or hire cart. Your license or proof of age card may be requested to verify address details.
– The Lady’s Wednesday competition will resume from Wednesday, 27 May 2020. The Men’s Thursday competition will resort back to normal.
– From Saturday, 16 May 2020 we will be operating takeaway alcohol sales (and ice) available from the bar located at the outside deck area between the hours of 11.00 AM to 3:30 PM on Thursdays and Saturdays only. We will also open the outside deck area for 10 people only which will be monitored by club staff. We ask members to have no more than two beverages so other members have the opportunity to use this space. A price list will be available at point of sale and we will only be accepting card payments.
Please continue to practise social distancing at all times especially at the commencement and completion of your round and constantly carry out good hygiene practises.
Narooma Golf Club
GOLF MEMBERS UPDATE (Monday 4th May, 2020)
Hope you are all well and coping with the current restrictions in place. Clubs NSW is currently communicating with the State Government on opening clubs as soon as it is considered safe to do so. We don’t see any movement yet especially not in May 2020. When we do open it will be very different to how we operated prior to the pandemic back in March 2020. The more people who download the new Covid-19 app that the government has recommended the sooner more restrictions may be able to be lifted. We will keep you informed as soon as we receive any approved updates on this. We are very lucky to have our golf course open to members at this stage and we will do all we can to keep this ongoing under current restrictions and obvious financial concerns.
The club will be introducing another weekly competition in the form of a two-person Ambrose commencing this Friday 8th May, 2020 from 8.30am. The Pro Shop will be open all day. Tee times for all competitions will now be in 5 minute intervals from next week. This has been introduced to let all members have the opportunity to play with the fading light as we head further towards winter. It is essential that you keep up with the group in front and keep social distancing at each tee area. If this becomes too congested, we will have to resort back to longer intervals.
Enjoy your golf, stay safe.
Narooma Golf Club
GOLF MEMBERS UPDATE (Thursday 23rd Apr 2020)
Hello again, hope your all well and enjoying the course being open both for competitions and social play at the moment.
I have received a few questions on a number of issues from members but the main one seems to be around the seahorse loyalty bonus points and golf vouchers. The seahorse loyally bonus points normally expire at the end of April. However, due to the current Covid-19 crises we will extend this cut off period until further notice with a date to be posted. This means no one will lose their points in the interim.
Golf club vouchers can be redeemed at the pro shop, clubhouse (when open) or presented to our current suppliers. Just remember you have to use the full amount when presenting your voucher as no change will be given. Following is a list of suppliers you can redeem your voucher at
* Betta Home Living *Georgie’s Fine Jewellery *Houston Plumbing *Mitre 10 *Montague Vets *Narooma Meat Centre *Narooma Pharmacy *Narooma Plaza Pharmacy *Narooma IGA *Narooma Electrics *Pipi Blinds *Rapley’s Mid-Town Quality Meats *Southcoast Outdoor Products
Under the new job keeper program initiated by the government we now have staff undertaking odd jobs in and around the clubhouse. Some of the jobs were needed to be carried out ages ago so this period will be beneficial in that regard. We will also be replacing the main bar floor which is in bad repair. To do this normally would have meant closing the bar for 2/3 weeks so this will be an opportune time to get this project completed.
Most of you would know our new course superintendent (Scott Harris) started smack in the middle of the worst bush fire season in many years back in Jan 2020. Coupled with this is the Covid-19 virus which means he has had a baptism of fire so to speak and has come through all this in flying colours. I have added his report on the recent greens reno for your information.
The staff and volunteers were very busy last week with greens on course being renovated. A special thanks to the volunteers on Tuesday coming out to help my staff in removing the cores off greens and also thanks to Cole in getting the word out to members for help.
Renovation key objectives
- Removal of thatch in greens (layer of dead and living stems and roots between green and soil layers)
- Remove soil compaction
- Increase air and water flow into the soil profile
- Incorporate fertiliser amendments into profile from soil test results (Nutrismart and Gypsum)
- Increase root system in soil profileGreens cored with hollow tine 12mm to a depth of 20cm.
- Cores removed from green surface with the help of the volunteers and rolled.
- Greens top-dressed with a free draining sand (35 ton used on greens)
- Greens fertilised with soil amendments
- Greens rubbed in with drag mat to push the sand and fertiliser into the core holes.
- Greens irrigated to breakdown fertiliser and push sand into core holes.
Please remember to carry out social distancing at all times when playing at our course either competition or on a social basis and wash your hands or use hand sanitiser regularly.
Stay safe and see you around the course!!
GOLF MEMBERS UPDATE (Wednesday 8th April, 2020)
Hello to you all, another update which now seems to be the norm with changes happening overnight. Firstly, I would like to thank you all for your patience with all the changes and regulations lately and for observing the social distancing rules put in place around the course it has been very much appreciated.
One area that does get a little messy with numbers at times is around the pro shop area. We have moved forward the tee off area for the 7th hole to the lady’s tee to help decrease golfers in this area. Golf carts will be spaced out also to assist moving numbers apart. When your lining up to pay for your game, waiting to tee off or on completion of your round please obey the social distancing and move on as quickly as possible. I have already heard of a group of 3 golfers being fined $1,000 each on a north coast golf course.
The following changes will be implemented from Thursday 16th Apr 2020;
- The course and pro shop will be open for competitions on Thursday/Saturday/Tuesday only except for next Tuesday 14th & Wednesday 15th as the course will be closed for renovation of the greens. The pro shop will be open from 6am till 5.30pm on these days.
- Friday/Sunday/Monday/Wednesday the course and pro shop will be closed. Members and their guests only may utilise the course at their own discretion and must still observe social distancing as required by the state. If you wish to play outside of competition times you must still book in. Our greens staff will be monitoring this on a daily basis.
- Due to restrictions on groups, golf carts will be in very short supply so if you don’t want to miss out please ensure you book your cart.
- The BBQ will be fired up for service on Thursdays and Saturdays starting from tomorrow. Again please observe social distancing.
- If your golf clubs and or buggies are stored in the locker storage area you will only have access to them on the three competitions days mentioned. Pre plan to avoid disappointment.
That’s all for now, enjoy your golf and please observe the social distancing rules plus wash your hands frequently. Stay safe and see you around the course soon.
GOLF UPDATE (Friday 3rd April, 2020)
Hope this message finds you all well and in good health.
We have received information from Golf NSW today that two family members who live together cannot share a golf cart for comps or social play. Social distancing regulations apply to everyone and will be enforced. Only one golf bag per cart is permissible.
Members are reminded to respect the 1.5m distancing from staff and other members and to wash your hands thoroughly for 20 seconds (best practice) or use sanitiser where possible. We ordered sanitisers many weeks ago and unfortunately have still not received them yet.
You need to monitor yourself for symptoms. If you (or someone in your household) develop even a mild cough or low-grade fever (37.3 or above) you should stay home and self-isolate for a period of 14 days, avoiding close contact with people and you should seek medical advice.
Members who may have had a test or about to test to see if they have COVID-19 should not patronise the club facilities until their results are clear.
UPDATE ON COURSE CLOSURE…….ITS OPEN AGAIN
Here we go again!!!
Both the Golf NSW and Clubs NSW associations in consultation with the sport department of NSW have today reconsidered and advised that golf is considered an activity that can continue to be played in line with Public Health Orders relating to public gathering limits, social distancing, and the elderly.
The statement from the Office of Sport – NSW Government is as follows:
The Office of Sport would like to clarify the advice that went out on Monday 30 March 2020.
As you know, there are now restrictions around public gatherings and rules around leaving your home. These new measures are in place to keep the community safe during the COVID-19 outbreak. But it is important to note that people are allowed to leave their homes for the purpose of exercise. For more information on the new restrictions, please visit https://preview.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/public-health-orders
What does this mean for sport and active recreation organisations?
The NSW Government has issued guidelines allowing people to go outside and exercise. Any form of exercise is to be undertaken in compliance with the Public Health Orders, meaning that people must not participate in groups greater than two persons at any point in time. Therefore, individual sports such as golf and tennis can continue provided the Public Health Orders are complied with.
Maintaining the public’s physical and mental well-being is now as important as ever. Where possible, it is important sporting clubs and organisations continue to allow people to exercise, so long as social distancing is practised and rules around public gatherings of no more than two people are complied with.
So with this in mind the Narooma Golf Club will be open from tomorrow Thursday 2nd Apr 2020 from 8am for social play only. Medley competitions will now be on Saturdays/Tuesdays/Thursdays starting from this Saturday 4th Apr 2020. All those who wish to play this Saturday will need to contact the pro shop on Friday (4476-0507) to confirm your booking time. Players will be sent out in pairs at 6min intervals, 1 player per cart. Social distancing to be observed at all times and hands to be washed and cleaned where possible. The pro staff will be disinfecting all areas relating to golf much as humanly possible.
Social golf will be available on Sundays/Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays from 8am till 2pm until further notice. Bookings are essential to insure social distancing policy. These will be 10min intervals.
These playing conditions may change from time to time as we have already experienced so keep watching out for emails and updates on the web.
Welcome to Narooma Golf Club
Recognised as one of Australia’s top 100 golf courses, and famous for “Hogan’s Hole”, Narooma Golf Club is set on one of the most spectacular coastlines in the world.
The Clubhouse is a popular, South Coast venue for weddings and other functions. Relax and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and amazing view from the clubhouse, or on our back deck, while dining from our in- house Brasserie “Paul’s on the Course” or while having a cold refreshment from the selection of beverages available at our bars.